The first being that Julian Assange is nothing but a crook. The second being that Julian Assange should be freed. And the final is “Who is Julian Assange and why is he so controversial?” or “Psht, I don’t even care about”.
As it’s a pretty controversial issue I won’t tell you which what side you should take, you can decide for yourself. If you have no interest or don’t care, that is fine and so to not everyone will agree with my opinions.
Firstly, I am wary in saying “FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!!!” for a number of reasons. The first being that he would probably have to live in exile anyway if he was free of his charges. I assume he would be given death threats and could be hunted down, maybe the FBI would secretly try kill him too. Another reason is because he actually has committed a crime within some constitutions and generally that merits punishment. While I don’t think he deserve punishment I agree that he has committed a crime according to the USA. I think he’s actually a good guy and is serving an important role in society.
Here is some background info on JA:
- Assange is an Australian. He was born in Queensland but he moved location over 30 times before the age of 14 as his Mother was in hiding due to a previous relationship. He also attended 37 different schools.
- When Assange was 16 he began hacking with two fellow friends under the name Mendax.
- The rules of the hacking group were – “Don’t damage computer systems you break into (including crashing them); don’t change the information in those systems (except for altering logs to cover your tracks); and share information.”
- In 1995 was eventually charged and trialed (it took 3 years for his crimes to go to trial) for the hacking crimes which included accessing information from an Australian University, a Canadian telecommunications company and the Pentagon, among others. He was given a good behavior bond and a fine.
- In 1993 he helped the Victoria Police Child Exploitation Unit by providing technical advice and assisted in prosecuting offenders.
- He worked in computer programing and studied until he created Wikileaks in 2006.
- Wikileaks was founded to be a whistle blower by providing public worldwide news leaks and to create an open governance (the public has the right to access government documents and proceedings).
- Blah blah blah, Wikileaks were doing their thang and then in 2010 the world got pissed off when U.S military documents were publish which included information regarding the war in the Middle East.
- In late 2010 an arrest warrant was issued from the Swedish police which states that Assange is wanted for questioning regarding a sexual assault.
- Since June 2012 Assange has been living at the Ecuadorian embassy in London where he was granted diplomatic asylum. The British government has stated that if he leaves the embassy he will me extradited to Sweden. If he was not a political refugee his life would be in danger as there has been calls to assassinate him.
That pretty much, more or less brings us up to date with the whole situation.
A major problem with Assange has been how fearsome he has been of his extradition to Sweden to face sexual assault charges. Obviously, this makes him very suspect. However, while he denies the sexual assault charges the major issue is that once in Sweden he will then be extradited to the U.S where he may face the life in prison or even worse the death penalty.
I totally support the need for whistle blowers and the need for an open government. It is important to know that our government is not corrupt, is fighting wars for safety reasons and aren’t providing false information to the public.
As for his sex charges that he could face, I do not believe that he commited them. I believe it is a ploy to try get him to the U.S to face hacking charges. I’m not sure what the legislation states about treason in the U.S but they will probably try him for something along those lines.
The arrest of Julian Assange would be an infringement on the right to free speech which is something which we all seek.